AWARDS & CERTIFICATES
At Knossos Beach S.A. we value environmental and social sustainability and we are dedicated to improving the environmental performance of our business activities. Whilst we have a number of environmental and social programs in place, including energy saving, waste management, water conservation, reef enhancement and local employment, we are active members of the Blue Flag and Green Key Association in order to be constantly up to date and act by the latest developments towards a Greener Earth.
The hotel follows and adheres to ISO 45000:2020, ISO 26000:2010, ISO 22000:2018 and ISO 9001:2015 which cover best practices during the Covid -19 pandemic, corporate social responsibility, food safety HACCP and quality respectively.
Knossos Beach Bungalows & Suites is committed to minimizing the impact its operations have on the environment. All procedures are supervised and policies are established aimed at improving the hotels environmental performance by reducing pollution, emissions and waste.
The hotel is stone-built based on Cretan village architecture, integrated with harmony into the island’s natural environment.
All structures are facing the north, thus facilitating the natural air flow.
The bungalows are spread amidst colorful gardens containing local plants and flowers that add freshness to the microclimate and allow rainwater to reach the soil.
Breakwater to prevent erosion and damage by wave action, contributing to the increase of marine life in the area.
- Non-smoking rooms
- Magnetic card key used to activate lights & Air conditioning
- Split unit Air conditioning for individual control
- Ceiling fans, reversible
- Double opening glass doors
- Stone walls
- Energy efficient light bulbs installed
- Cotton towels & linens for bathroom and bedroom use
- Guests are encouraged to re-use towels
- Water saving devices installed in shower heads & sink aerators (without affecting water pressure)
- Hot and cold water pipe insulation
- Single lever mixers in bathrooms
- Solar collectors are used for heating water. (Crete is blessed with almost 300 days a year of sun shine)
- Energy efficient light bulbs in most public areas
- Sensors and timers are used to turn off lights in public areas
- Use of recycling water for watering the gardens
- Use of biο fertilizers for the gardens
- Use of gas stoves in kitchens
- Waste separation into plastic, paper, glass, organic
- Battery recycling
- Liquid soap dispenser in public area toilets
- Continuous filtering of pool water and regular monitoring of the water quality
- Recycling of packaging materials and paper goods is used whenever possible with a process in place to recover all used printer paper for recycling
- Consumption of local ingredients for food & beverage
- Producing our own organic products (olive oil, grapes & raki)